Vaginal Rejuvenation Procedures
Vaginal Rejuvenation for Addressing Sexual Function Issues
Vaginal Rejuvenation (sometime misspelled vaginal rejuvination) is a general term that refers to surgical procedures to help tighten and support the vagina and its structures.¹ It is also referred to as vaginoplasty or laser vaginoplasty surgery. This surgery is designed to tighten the inside of the vaginal canal and the vaginal opening.
Vaginal Rejuvenation is the most common cosmetic gynecology procedure requested by our patients. Women generally seek vaginal rejuvenation for two reasons:
- to resolve the symptoms related to pelvic relaxation (cystocele and rectocele. In regards to urinary incontinence, at the consult, your symptoms, concerns and anatomy will be assessed, and Dr. Hailparn will make recommendations accordingly.)
- to enhance or improve sexual function ².
After childbirth, some women find their vagina doesn't feel or function the same as before they had children. One of our vaginal rejuvenation patients described it this way:
"After two children, I had serious incontinence problems. My vagina had that 'flippy-floppy' feeling. I could barely feel anything. Sex was just not the same."
Why Some Women Desire Vaginal Rejuvenation to Tighten the Vagina
The natural process of childbirth and/or aging can result in damage to the vaginal walls and muscles; not only to the back wall, but to the sides, front wall and muscles around the vaginal opening and urethra as well. The result is a relaxed vaginal canal (vaginal relaxation) and/or a large vaginal opening. Women who experience these problems often report:
- Feeling too loose, feeling stretched out, not being able to feel their partner inside them
- Not having enough friction or sensation
- Having a difficult time achieving orgasm during intercourse (which may or may not be related to vaginal relaxation)
These women want a solution to rejuvenate and tighten the vagina and achieve improved sexual function . Even women with no children can experience these problems because of aging, hormonal issues, history of smoking, and weight gain or loss. Vaginal tightening and pelvic relaxation solutions are available. Dr. Hailparn is educated and trained in 8 different vaginal rejuvenation techniques to address specific vaginal problems and produce the best results possible. Our vaginal rejuvenation procedures are designed to address the symptoms of pelvic relaxation and improve sexual function for women who, for whatever reason, lack an overall optimum architectural integrity of the vagina. As with any surgery, there are risks involved. Dr. Hailparn discusses all risks and also provides patients with written documentation of those risks during the office consultation.
But What If I Need More Than Vaginal Rejuvenation, "Vaginal Tightening"? 3
In some cases, there may be more extensive damage to the vaginal walls and support tissues. This can affect the support of the pelvic organs; including the uterus, bladder and rectum. Do you experience any of these symptoms:
- Has to support perineum with bowel movements
- Passes stool with intercourse
- Has to manually express stool
- Stress Urinary Incontinence (involuntary loss of urine with laughing, coughing, sneezing, exercising or sex)
If this is the case, these issues can be addressed at the same time vaginal rejuvenation or vaginal tightening is done.
Description of Vaginal Rejuvenation Surgery
Vaginal rejuvenation (vaginoplasty), with our without a laser, is the modification of a standard gynecological surgical procedure.¹ Our techniques result in gentle precision procedures with controlled accuracy that result in relatively bloodless surgery. For most patients, these techniques result in rapid healing and resumption of daily activities in a relatively short period of time.
Vaginal rejuvenation surgery lasts between one and two hours and is performed in an outpatient surgery center. The length of time depends on the extent of the vaginal relaxation and whether both the top (anterior) and bottom (posterior) vaginal walls/muscles are treated.
No one wants to age or lose optimal function anywhere, and this includes the vaginal and vulvar structures: Vaginal rejuvenation can be a solution. We have found that the vaginal and vulvar issues women are self-conscious about can be addressed with vaginal rejuvenation. Vaginal rejuvenation is not, however, a solution for sexual dysfunction, lack of interest or arousal, or orgasmic inadequacy.
Patients from San Antonio, around Texas, and across the world have been treated with vaginal rejuvenation techniques, vaginoplasty. Patients come to see Dr. Troy Robbin Hailparn for vaginal rejuvenation at the Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio because of her advanced training, surgical skills, and extensive experience in the area of cosmetic gynecology. Please complete our vaginal rejuvenation questionnaire to see if you might be a candidate for vaginal rejuvenation (aka vaginoplasty surgery) and we invite you to contact our office if you have questions or would like to schedule a consultation.
Along with vaginal rejuvenation, some women desire labiaplasty (labia reduction surgery) and/or hymenoplasty or one of our other designer vagina procedures at the same time. That can be easily accommodated.
For more information on vaginal rejuvenation, vaginoplasty and/or to schedule a consultation, you can email or call the Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio at 210-615-6646.
- In the general publications and medical literature, vaginal rejuvenation has generally referred to a procedure employing the colpoperineoplasty (repair of a ruptured vagina and perineum) with or without paravaginal repair (repair of a ruptured vagina and perineum) to treat a sensation of wide vagina. Pardo DS, Solda VD, Ricci PA, et al (2006) Colpoperineoplasty in women with a sensation of a wide vagina. Acta Obstet Gynecol 85:1125-1127.
In other words, vaginal rejuvenation is the modification of a traditional gyn procedure, but unlike traditional gynecologists, we openly address the impact of pelvic relaxation on sexual function. When traditional gyn procedures are performed to address sexual function, it is considered a cosmetic and/or an elective procedure. In 2007, the American Congress of ObGyns (ACOG) cautioned patients against cosmetic vaginal procedures due to lack of safety and efficacy data. That is, there have been no double-blind, randomized crossover studies to quantify the benefits of vaginal rejuvenation. (ACOG Committee Opinion Number 378 (September 2007) “Vaginal rejuvenation” and cosmetic vaginal procedures. The American College Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Washington, D.C.
- Medical literature citation for an enlarged vagina causes reduced sexual function. Alzate H, Londono ML (1984) Vaginal erotic sensitivity. J Sex Marital 10:49-56. Note: The vaginal introitus diameter itself can become abnormally wide and may or may not cause reduced sexual function. Medical literature states this is individualized - not every woman has the same experience.
- Vaginal tightening” procedures as they are called by the public include procedures to treat pelvic relaxation and re-support the vaginal walls and the structures they support including the bladder and the rectum. There is no “vaginal tightening” as a specific medical procedure but the procedures referred to include the anterior and/or posterior colporrhaphy (traditional gyn procedures) and the 7 new vaginal rejuvenation procedures published by Ostrzenski (4).